Applying for your trade effluent license doesn’t have to be a struggle. While there are many options on the market, not all of them are fully compliant. We offer a free consultation for food startups. Whether you just need some guidance so you can do it yourself, or you’re looking for someone to handle all aspects of the work, we can look at your setup and give you recommendations that suit your needs. Applying for your Trade Effluent License.

What is Trade Effluent?

“Trade Effluent” is any effluent that comes from premises engaged in any trade or industry, where the discharge is disposed in the public wastewater works. If you run a business of any kind that requires the discharge of trade-related waste, you will need to complete a trade effluent license application. Since the integration of environmental legislation, a grease trap or recovery unit is required. It must meet standards and suit the requirements of your establishment.

Two ways to tackle Control of Fat, Oil and Grease

You have two options for most foodservice businesses: a grease trap or a Grease Recovery Unit (GRU). A GRU may be fitted on kitchen sinks within your cafe or restaurant or in any commercial building where food preparation occurs.

Irish water provides guidance, such as the Water Services Training Group Guidance Document for FOG. Any implementation you use should meet these guidelines. Even if your system is compliant, it must also manage the effluent output for your activities to adhere to the discharge limits set out in the Trade Effluent Licence.

Grease Traps

To meet the requirements for your Trade Effluent License, your system must meet all the provisions of the Local Government (Water Pollution) Act (1977 – 1990). This means you must have a suitably sized grease trap designed and built to meet IS EN 1825. This is the 2002 national standard for grease separators and covers the recommended sizes, required means of installation, operation and maintenance throughout the lifecycle of your system. GRUs are typically specified in accordance with PDI G101.

When applying for your license, you must provide full details of the grease trap, its type, and the proposed maintenance schedule.  You must submit this application to Irish Water who must then review the application before they make an agreement.

We can help you with all of the above, including submitting important details such as the design loading of the grease trap, the capacity, and all other important data points, to ensure that your application is fully compliant, will not require review, and help you ensure it is implemented as intended – without any problems.

If you would like to arrange for a consultation and a recommendation from our experts, you can call us today on 1800 437 246

Book online

We operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year across Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick, Kildare & all of Ireland to ensure that you are always covered when domestic, commercial and industrial drainage problems arise.